John Bergman talks about the importance of sleep and tips on how to get deep sleep.
Some of the tips he gives are …
1. At night, it has to be very dark.
2. Don’t do anything in bed except sleep.
3. Get to bed about 10:30 to 11pm and wake up about 5am — about 6.5 hours of sleep. Whether you get 20 minutes or all 6.5 hours doesn’t matter. Keep the same schedule for 21 days every day, including weekdays and weekend. Same time everyday; same pattern. No naps during the day.
4. Cover up the clock radio so you don’t look at time.
5. Can not watch TV or computer before bed. The 60 cycle per second of the monitors is hypnotic.
6. Sleep on side or elevate head is good for sleep apnea.
7. In the morning, bathe in bright light therapy (such as during brushing teeth). Use 150 watt bulb. It will reset your body clock as well a make body work more correctly.
8. Journalling. The act of writing it down causes your brain to be able to let it go.
The ideal sleep time is about 7 hours. He shows a graph where people who sleeps 7 hours have less disease rate than those who sleeps less as well as those who sleeps more.
In terms of food, he says if “man makes it, you don’t eat it”.